nanog mailing list archives

Re: OK, Google. Time to dial back the AI hype.

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 07:50:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015, Mel Beckman wrote:

Google has always played fast and loose with its AI claims, but today t has gone too far. In a WSJ story, Google is misleading people into thinking it has achieved emotion, if not outright consciousness, in its AI programming:

http://slashdot.org/submission/4569873/wsj-jumps-the-shark-with-ai-gets-testy-story

Google claims one of its computer programs using a database of movie scripts to answer questions supposedly "lashed out" at a human researcher who was repeatedly asking it to explain morality.

Is the WSJ a wholly owned subsidiary of GOOG? It looks to me like a WSJ journalist said that.

Don't computer scientists have a responsibility to deal forthrightly with the public on the real state of research in such fields as AI? When an Internet provider like Google makes such outlandish claims, one has to wonder what the real agenda is.

I think you're confusing computer scientist integrity with journalism and a desire to attract readers.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route