nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routing Insecurity (Re: BGP in the Washington Post)

From: "Roland Dobbins" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:27:51 +0700

On 3 Jun 2015, at 9:04, Ethan Katz-Bassett wrote:

The same folks also followed up that workshop paper with a longer paper on
the topic:
https://www.cs.bu.edu/~goldbe/papers/sigRPKI.pdf

Thanks to you and to Dale Carter - I was unaware of these papers.

Nonetheless, the risk remains of authorities interfering with the BGP as they've interfered with the DNS.

I'm very cognizant of the non-trivial effects of route-hijacking, having been involved in helping get a few of them resolved. Nonetheless, my natural skepticism leads me to wonder whether we aren't better off with the problematic, error-prone system we have (not to mention the enumeration and enhanced DDoS impact of packeting routers doing crypto for their BGP sessions and which aren't protected via iACLs/GTSM).

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>