nanog mailing list archives

Re: REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

From: Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:33:06 -0500

Once upon a time, Majdi S. Abbas <msa () latt net> said:
      "Total and utter carnage" is a bit of a stretch.  Linux hosts
that ran applications dependant on nanosleeps needed reboots.  Note
that this wasn't an issue in 2009, because the poorly tested change in
question hadn't yet been made to the Linux kernel.

In 2009, there was a different problem.  If the system was under
sufficient kernel-related load (such as disk I/O), the kernel's attempt
to print an informational message that a leap second had been added
caused a kernel deadlock, immediately killing the system.

I don't remember any widespread Linux-related leap second issues before
that though.
--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>