nanog mailing list archives

Re: REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:18:14 -0700

On 6/19/15 2:58 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
Bad idea.

When restarting ntpd your clocks will likely be off by a second, which
will cause a backward step, which will force the problem you claim to be
avoiding.

There are plenty of ways to solve this problem, and you just get to
choose what you want to risk/pay.

You misunderstand the problem. :) The problem is not "clock skips backward one second," because most of the time that's not what happens. The problem is that most software does not handle it well when the clock ticks ... :59 :60 :00 instead of ticking directly from :59 to :00.

THAT problem is avoided by temporarily turning off NTP and then turning it back on again when "the coast is clear." Most software can handle the "clock skips forward or backwards one second" problem fairly robustly, and as Baldur pointed out by doing the reset in a controlled manner you greatly reduce your overall risk.

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures. This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not validate, please let me know how you received this message (direct, or to a list) and the mail software you use. Thanks!