nanog mailing list archives

Re: Whats' a good product for a high-density Wireless network setup?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 07:40:29 -0400

On Jun 21, 2015, at 1:28 AM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

My understanding is that the most recent NANOG had issues with clients
picking channels sequentially vs by signal strength. There may have
been other issues but when all devices use 149 because that's the
first they can and they get link that's not good.

we're lucky those mean vicious bad clients don't also come to ietf,
wwdc, crisco live, ...  oh wait …

I’ll say the difference about IETF is a lot more planning goes into it.
The people are on-site much earlier than for a NANOG and there are
few last minute rushes.

While there are larger plenary meetings at IETF, most are in smaller
rooms but are packed with chairs and laptops/devices.

you are blaming the customer as if you worked for a telco.  oh wait ...
:)

Duh.  Always blame the customer, step 1 success.
step2 (vendor/cisco tac): have you tried turning it on and off again?
step3 maybe it’s fixed in the latest code

If people know of tricks to solve this when there are 600-1000 devices
per room i am certain the NANOG eng team would love to know about it.

clue: with 600-1000 geeks there are gonna be 2k-4k devices.

Yup.  This is a given.

- Jared