nanog mailing list archives

Re: UDP clamped on service provider links

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:19:22 -0400

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Glen Kent <glen.kent () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Is it true that UDP is often subjected to stiffer rate limits than TCP? Is

I hear tell that some folk are engaging in this practice... You might
have seen this hear little ditty:
  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-byrne-opsec-udp-advisory-00>

you may have also put your ear to the tracks and seen a bunch of kids
using these 'you-dee-pee en-tee-pee' packets to fill up the tubes
across the lands... Sometimes they use not just 'en-tee-pee', but also
that old hoary bastard 'dee-en-ess' for their no good traffic backup
propositions.

there a reason why this is often done so? Is this because UDP is stateless
and any script kiddie could launch a DOS attack with a UDP stream?

I understand, and I'm new hear so bear with me, that there are
you-dee-pee services out there in the hinterlands which will say a
whole lot more to you than you said to them... like your worst
nightmare when it comes to smalltalk.

Given the state of affairs these days how difficult is it going to be for
somebody to launch a DOS attack with some other protocol?

not very hard at all... but here's your lipstick and there's the pig... :)