nanog mailing list archives

RE: Speaking of NTP...

From: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf () tndh net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:24:11 -0700

I have had a consistent 10ms offset on a set of servers for the last 5 years. After extensive one-way tracing, it turns
out there is a 20ms asymmetry "within" the Seattle Westin colo between HE & Comcast, causing all the IPv6 peers
appearing over the HE tunnel to be 10ms offset from everything else. There may be other instances of indirect peering
causing a static asymmetric path delay, and NTP will report that as an offset of half of the difference.

Tony