nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:58:18 -0400

On 7/16/15, 11:24 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Joe Maimon"
<nanog-bounces () nanog org on behalf of jmaimon () ttec com> wrote:

To clarify, my criticism of top down is specifically in response to the
rationale presented that it is a valid objective to prevent, hinder and
refuse to enable efforts that "compete" with ipv6 world-takeover
resources.

I don¹t see anybody hindering any efforts; I don¹t see any efforts.

I have no intention of using Class E. I have no intention of developing
code that uses Classe E. I will note that the code involved that is
publicly searchable appears to be simple and small, the task that is
large is adoption spread.

So this argument is moot?

But perhaps we can all agree that standards should be accurate and
should not be used to advance uninvolved agenda. And class E
experimental status is inaccurate. And keeping that status serves
nobody, except those who believe it helps marshal efforts away from
IPv4. And that is top down.

So, you would like to update RFC 1112, which defines and reserves Class E?
That¹s easy enough. If somebody had a use in mind for the space, anybody
can write such a draft assigning space, which is, I believe, how to
direct IANA to do something with it.

If you want to direct IANA to distribute Class E space among the RIRs,
there¹s more process, because you would also have to develop a global
policy (no problem, we get the NRO NC to write it and get consensus at
all the RIRs), and then each RIR would need to develop a policy under
which to allocate it. I¹d be surprised if all that could happen in
less than three years.

In any of these processes, nothing will move forward until there is
consensus, and I don¹t think there¹s consensus. If you think your
argument can be persuasive, let¹s write an internet-draft and get it
into the process.

Lee

Joe