nanog mailing list archives

RE: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 20:05:18 +0000

I don't have a problem with that use case IF there is a real firewall between VLANs.  I was mostly referring to
residential networks however.  As far as guest access, a lot of today's CPE does that with its internal firewall
creating an ACL for anyone on the guest network.  The VLAN barrier is not really needed there and there are lots of
techniques for dodging a VLAN barrier anyway.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL

I've seen VLAN/subnet security used frequently in the financial world, even to the point of having full firewalls
between vlans/subnets. Mostly for regulator purposes (Chinese firewall and all that). It's also common to allow
outbound requests or redirect to different proxies based on source addresses within a corporate network.

In residential networks, it's mostly used for guest networks that can route out to the internet, but not to other
local devices.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577 OTA Management LLC
| Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff        | Fax:   914-694-5669