nanog mailing list archives

Re: Now that's an odd failure mode...

From: Philip Dorr <tagno25 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:47:50 -0600

In this case the cover is a thin, but ridged peice of plastic.  It is
possible that the link stayed up until it rained and the acorns absorbed
water coming in through the hole.
On Jan 30, 2015 4:33 PM, "Larry Sheldon" <larrysheldon () cox net> wrote:

On 1/30/2015 16:23, Larry Sheldon wrote:

On 1/30/2015 16:13, Larry Sheldon wrote:

On 1/30/2015 07:36, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:

Lauren Weinstein shared a pointer to this video of one of the stranger
failure modes I've ever seen.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkAP-CQlhA

It is actually an execrable add for something--runs forever, finally
followed by a very old video of repairs to a microwave site occasioned by
a woodpecker (or woodpeckers--not squirrels, in any case) using the
enclosure to store acorns.

I might have still had a valid radio license when I first saw that.

Here is the clip (still maligning squirrels) without the ad:

http://youtu.be/cZkAP-CQlhA

The questions that have always intrigued me about the clip:

Who made the hole and how long did it take (assumption is "woodpeckers
made it" but I have no idea how long it took to make the hole).)

HOW did they make it--seems like it would have been like making a hole in
a bass drum with a finger (lot of bounce, not much cut)?

How long did it take to put that many in, and how many worked on the
project?

Why didn't some alarm or path measurement disclose the deterioration
before the cavity was packed so full?

Were the acorns cooked?
--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes