nanog mailing list archives

Re: REMINDER: Leap Second

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 25 Jan 2015 17:29:25 -0000

In article <201501251019290550.005C05BC () smtp 24cl home> you write:
I've always wondered why this is such a big issue, and why it's done
as it is.

A lot of people don't think the current approach is so great.

In UNIX, for instance, time is measured as the number of seconds
since the UNIX epoch.  imo, the counting of the number of seconds
should not be "adjusted", unless there's a time warp of some sort.
The leap second adjustment should be in the display of the time,
i.e., similar to how time zones are handled.

It shares with time zones the problem that you cannot tell what
the UNIX timestamp will be for a particular future time.  If
you want to have something happen at, say, July 2 2025 at 12:00 UTC
you can guess what the timstamp for that will be, but if there's
another leapsecond or two, you'll be wrong.

Life would be a lot easier for everyone except a handful of
astronomers if we forgot about leap seconds and adjusted by a full
minute every couple of centuries.