nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

From: Rob Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 06:18:43 -0500

Bryan Seitz <seitz () bsd-unix net> writes:

odroid-c1 + eMMC module + RTC battery + case + power adapter.
Should run you about $75 *AND* wouldn't be bad for running NTP as
well.

I haven't looked into the details of the clock, so "wouldn't be bad"
is probably true, "notably good", well, that would be a task for
someone with experience doing clock benchmarking and who can describe
MAVAR without looking it up.

The gig-e port on the C1 has been observed to push 405Mbps TX and
940Mbps+ RX via iperf.

The 405 Mbps for TX.  I've seen around 30 Mbyte/sec on single stream
TCP RX.  Got 99.5 Mbyte/sec from a Mac Mini in the same subnet so
that's not a limit of the host on the other end of the benchmark.

I call shenanigans on the 940 Mbps iperf number though.  The HSIC bus
is only 480 Mbit/sec.  Two pints of beer in a one pint glass would be
some trick.

-r