nanog mailing list archives

Re: reliably detecting the presence of a bridge?

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 17:15:46 -0600

On 12/19/2015 16:53, James R Cutler wrote:

[snip]

But I still have one question (which might be based on errors)--

I think I have used WiFi terminals ("air ports", "WiFi routers"
[spit]) that offer a "bridge" mode, apparently to build a dedicated
radio link between two such terminals.

Are they operating as a Radia Perlman "bridge", or is this yet
another example if the Wiffy World high-jacking words and terms
that used to have actual meanings?

Bridge Mode (ATT Passthrough) simply means that the router between
the WAN connection and the LAN/WiFi ports is turned off and all ports
share the same switch (so packets just “pass through”. Thus all ports
appear connected to a common switch.  Call that what you will, there
is no spanning tree here even though we all love Radia.

I have three radios in my little toy network (two because the original installation was in a big house that had annoying dead spots with only one, one because I had to replace the router and the router replacement included a radio).

I just looked at one (I'm pretty sure the others are similar of the same) that has a pick fir "AP Mode" which offers "Access Point (default) which is what I run, "AP Client", "Wireless Repeater" and "Wireless Bridge".

I just realized that I don't know (or don't remember--I am old) what the documentation says (see--I am so old I think there IS documentation and that it WILL explain stuff.)

-- sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)

Nobody.

Heh

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)