nanog mailing list archives

Re: Modem as a service?

From: Henry Yen <henry () AegisInfoSys com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 21:40:47 -0500

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:54:17AM -0600, Larry Sheldon wrote:
I'll join the confusion--I thought the OP wanted to test for power
availability at the distant site by seeing if a modem there would answer
the phone there.  That it HAD to be a modem in that case makes no sense
to me.

I'm of the line now and have been for a while and maybe y'all don't do
things the way we did--we always had an answering machine (two or three
in some places*) that always answered on the first ring and gave some
kind of status report that was updated hourly on on event).  If it did
not answer, the power was out.

At a client wiring closet, the super-conscientious rack maintainer one day
decided that it was good practice to replace consumer-standard batteries
during his quarterly cleaning rounds.

Answering machines have replaceable batteries. Modems do not.

--
Henry Yen <Henry.Yen () Aegis00 com>               Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York