nanog mailing list archives

Re: Drops in Core

From: Scott Whyte <swhyte () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 10:44:43 -0700

On 8/15/15 09:47, Glen Kent wrote:
Hi,

Is it fair to say that most traffic drops happen in the access layers, or
the first and the last miles, and the % of packet drops in the core are
minimal? So, if the packet has made it past the first mile and has
"entered" the core then chances are high that the packet will safely get
across till the exit in the core. Sure once it gets off the core, then all
bets are off on whether it will get dropped or not. However, the key point
is that the core usually does not drop too many packets - the probability
of drops are highest in the access side.

What do these terms mean in a world where my EC2 VM talks to my GCE VM? It doesn't seem unreasonable that the DC bandwidth on either end dwarfs the "core" capacity between the two.

Is this correct?

Glen