nanog mailing list archives

Re: Strange traceroute result to VM in EC2, Singapore

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 12:11:15 -0400

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Glen Kent <glen.kent () gmail com> wrote:
I find this bizzare because even when the traceroute doesnt work, I am
actually able to ping and access the machine.

I know that the VM responds to traceroutes, since it did respond to my
traceroute when i was on the other broadband network.

So i really fail to understand why the traceroute on the other network
failed.

Any pointers on this would be very helpful.

the las hop reported in the 'fails' traceroute is an amazon ip
address, I suspect some miscarriage of packet-justice inside AWS is
happening. You asked them already I guess?