nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPTV providers in IN/Chicago

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 08:59:13 +0200

On 28/Apr/15 23:34, Brandon Martin wrote:

My routers will do SSM on IPv4 and IPv6, and they will also do SSM
mapping, but I do need to check on the access pieces which prefer to
be the customer's L3 termination (they CAN hand off L2 to another
router, but my preferred routers are not designed for bulk BRAS use).
The access gear is somewhat in the "price point" realm and, while
surprisingly capable, is not particularly well documented.  This was
definitely on my checklist before committing to any multicast
solution, especially IPv6-based, but I would like to hear your
thoughts if you don't mind (via unicast or multicast as you deem
appropriate).  I've not done a ton of IPv4 multicast and basically no
IPv6 multicast in the past.  Many vendors are unfortunately just
starting to catch up with mainstream IPv6 support in many cases...only
took a decade (a frequent lament on here, I know), and multicast is
still lagging in that department in many cases.

You can have multiple BRAS topologies running at the same time.

You can terminate Internet access on one BRAS and IPTv on another.

This lends itself well to centralized BRAS topologies, although it can
also work in distributed models too.

Depends on how much hardware you have.

Mark.