nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco/Level3 takedown

From: Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:55:43 -0500

Reading the article, I assumed that perhaps Level 3 was an upstream carrier, but RIPE stats shows that the covering prefix (103.41.120.0/22) is announced by AS63509, an Indonesian organization. It looks like they're fighting back by announcing their own /24 now.

I love the AS's address:
descr:Jl. Marcedes Bens No.258
descr:Gunung Putri, Bogor
descr:Jawa Barat 16964
country:ID

While a Level 3 /24 announcement will certainly have a world wide impact, I agree that it seems misguided when the originating AS can announce their own /24. It does make one wonder why Cisco or Level 3 is involved, why they feel they have the authority to hijack someone else's IP space, and why they didn't go through law enforcement. This is especially true for the second netblock (43.255.190.0/23), announced by a US company (AS26484).

--Blake