nanog mailing list archives

Re: GMail contact - misroute / security issue

From: ryanL <ryan.landry () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 20:50:42 -0700

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10313?hl=en

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM, Grant Taylor <gtaylor () tnetconsulting net>
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a GMail contact.

My wife is receiving someone else's emails.

Specifically she is receiving emails for <first name><middle initial><last
name>@gmail.com (no dots) when her email address is really <same first
name>.<same middle initial>.<same last name>@gmail.com (dots).

I don't know if this is a "feature" or a "bug", but either way, it's
disquieting my wife.  (Unhappy wife = unhappy life.)

I view this as both non-RFC compliant behavior -and- a potential security
risk.  (Registering a GMail account as <someone><famous>@gmail.com (no
dot) to capture email for <someone>.<famous>@gmail.com (dot) emails.)

Please reply or email me directly at gtaylor (at) tnetconsulting (dot) net
for additional details.

Thank you and have a nice day.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

P.S.  Thus far messages to postmaster () gmail com and abuse () gmail com have
gone unanswered.