nanog mailing list archives

Re: [VoiceOps] ITFS Term vendor question

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:55:23 -0500

On 9/17/2014 16:59, Jay Ashworth wrote:
---- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Crocker" <nick.crocker () gmail com>

Can someone shed some light on how you might be accomplishing this, I have
a hard time believing that customers are being told they cannot dial TF
numbers in their own country.

In the US, it's always been my understanding that what we call INWATS calls
are dipped *at the originating CO*, and the actual toll call across the
SS7/TDM backbone goes out using either the real 10D DN of the target line,
or some fake 10D that routes to the appropriate trunk group somehow at the
destination end.

So it's not that unusual to me that a network that is interfacing at
Class 4, instead of Class 5, might be unable to originate calls to TF DNs.

I admit to not being sure this is a worldwide view of the issue, as our
Wikipedian friends would say, though.

I don't think I ever know the details of automatic TF routing, but I'm pretty sure that in California Zenith and Enterprise numbers were translated by R & R and sent collect. Zenith 9000 is the only exception I know of.

Operator 25 (?) calls were just sent collect to the CB number.

In-WATS was purchased for particular areas (rest-of-the-state, for example) and calls from a point not paid-for simply would not translate.

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.