nanog mailing list archives

Re: Marriott wifi blocking

From: Michael Van Norman <mvn () ucla edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 17:21:08 -0700

IANAL, but I believe they are.  State laws may also apply (e.g. California
Code - Section 502).  In California, it is illegal to "knowingly and
without permission disrupts or causes the disruption of computer services
or denies or causes the denial of computer services to an authorized user
of a computer, computer system, or computer network."  Blocking access to
somebody's personal hot spot most likely qualifies.

/Mike