nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

From: Jeffrey Ollie <jeff () ocjtech us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:17:14 -0500

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:
the vast majority of negative tongue wagging regarding systemd is ill
informed.

can we skip the ad homina and leave that for the systemd dev fora?

I don't think that it's an ad homina attack, as it's pretty clear that
many of the people commenting have not spent a significant time using
systemd so many of their comments are based on what they've read on
the Internet, not from practical experience with systemd.

does systemd have growing pains? definitely. are some egos involved?
sure. can systemd be far reaching? yes, is such reach mandated?
no. use the units you want and disregard the rest.

how does this work out in practice?  at install, can i choose whether
systemd is used for X as opposed for the separate component?  can i
template such choices for cluster deployment with the usual tools?

I think that Debian's plan to allow multiple init systems
(irregardless of which one is default) is a bad plan.  The non-default
ones won't get any love - at some point they'll just stop working (or
indeed, work at all).

Allowing choice of components is a good thing at one level (e.g.
sendmail vs. postfix vs. exim).  I really don't care (and don't really
even remeber) which SMTP server is installed by default on my systems
because my configuration management system makes sure that the SMTP
server that I prefer is installed and configured the way I want it
once the system is up and running.

For something like PID 1, each distribution should make a choice and
stick with it.  I really couldn't care what Debian's init system is,
as I don't use Debian (never have, at least not when I have had a
choice).  If Debian goes through with the switch to systemd, they
won't gain me as a user as there are a host of other reasons that I
prefer something other than Debian (or Debian-derived) distributions.

If a group of people fork Debian because of systemd, more power to them.

--
Jeff Ollie