nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:55:56 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Capi" <capi () lugosys com>

On 10/21/2014 11:29 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
The thing that I don't understand about systemd is how it managed to
get
*EVERY SINGLE DISTRIBUTION'S RELEASE MANAGER* on board in less than
a year,
given how thoroughly it violates the Unix philosophy, and how poorly
documented it is

Not *every single* distribution...

I had meant to put an asterisk on that.

I'm glad to be using Gentoo Linux at home for the last 10 years...
They've adopted OpenRC, which is much less invasive, works with an
existing init (possibly sysv) and uses the friendly shell scripts
we're all used to.

Ok, but how does it handle providing initscripts?  I gather any upstreams
which used to provide them aren't anymore...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com