nanog mailing list archives

Re: Keeping Track of Data Usage in GB Per Port

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 06:09:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014, Colton Conor wrote:

So based on the response I have received so far it seems cable was a
complicated example with service flows involved. What if we are talking
about something simpler like keeping track of how much data flows in and
out of a port on a switch in a given month? I know you can use SNMP, but I
believe that polls in intervals and takes samples which isn't really
accurate right?

If you're measuring per month, there is no reason you can't use SNMP, poll that 64bit counter once per day or something, and then add the values up each month. It'll be accurate enough. SNMP isn't sampled, if you poll the IfOctet counter, it just counts upwards and if you're not worried about the switch rebooting, you could poll it once per month and be accurate. I'd say polling it once or a few times a day protects enough against that.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se