nanog mailing list archives

Re: netfilter/iptables synproxy; need help deciding

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 22:35:51 +0700

On Oct 8, 2014, at 10:24 PM, Paige Thompson <paigeadele () gmail com> wrote:

Re pp: 30-36 I think I catch your drift (ie: using cisco netflow to detect a synflood?) but would you care to
summarize just in case because
I am not this savvy, but would like to understand.

Yes, you can do that - there are plenty of open-source tools out there.

But pay attention to the infrastructure and host BCPs in that preso, as well.

Also in regards to snort inline, I've been trying to figure out whether or not Snort/DAQ/NFQ (netfilter) is
appropriate or not.

Yes, you can use it as a super-ACL.

Beyond that, reverse-proxy caches are useful, as well, as noted in the cited historical email.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

                          -- Laocoön