nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default routes on BGP routers with full feeds

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 14:39:16 -0500

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Berry Mobley <berry () gadsdenst org> wrote:
I'm wondering how many of you who are multihomed
also add default routes pointing to your providers
from whom you are receiving full feeds.

If so, why? If not, why not?

Back when I worked for the DNC we ran into a problem with the TCAM size.
Given the DNC's focus on the U.S., network reliability to the /8's operated
out of the APNIC and RIPE regions was much less important to us. So, we
filtered BGP announcements from within those /8's and relied on covering
routes to get our packets there instead.

I used covering /8's instead of a default, but a default would have been as
effective.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?