nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default routes on BGP routers with full feeds

From: Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 12:17:23 -0600

I often opt to leave one or more default routes configured with low priority (lower than BGP). The thinking is that if there is a fault with BGP, the router will still operate and the fault can be corrected remotely (in-band). The downside is that I might pass traffic for non-existing destinations an additional hop and put the load of generating an ICMP unreachable on someone else's router.

--Blake