nanog mailing list archives

Re: eBGP Graceful-Restart and GR Helper Mode with external networks.

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:31:21 +0200

On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:08:11 PM Chris Costa wrote:

Is there a BCOP (or substantiated opinion) for
negotiating eBGP Graceful-Restart and Graceful-Restart
Helper-Mode with external networks? Implementation looks
varied across a few larger transit providers, and in
some cases implemented inconsistently within the same
provider.  Seeing most IX peers with GR disabled,
although I don't see they've disabled GR Helper Mode.
Apparently, Junos (12.3, at least) doesn't offer
disabling GR Helper Mode for BGP.

We generally disable GR on eBGP sessions because different
peers (be they customers, upstreams or peers) have different
hardware/software that could make this tricky.

Internally, we run NSR on boxes with dual control planes.
This is recent, as several of your garden-variety (and
exotic) service provider network protocols and services are
now reasonably supported that it makes sense to migrate from
GR to NSR.

We don't generally run GR on boxes with single control
planes, as there could be operational impact when BFD is
involved under some circumstances. That said, GR Helper mode
tends to always be available even when GR is not enabled.

Mark.