nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multi-homing with multiple ASNs

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:07:49 +0200

On Friday, November 21, 2014 12:00:47 AM Curtis L. Parish
wrote:

We have recently added a second ISP  (third if you count
I2).  Our first "ISP" is actually a private state
network that peers with two Tier 1 providers.  We own an
AS number and our IP space but at the last minute
learned our state network is advertising our network
using two different ASNs (neither ours) so they can load
balance their connections.    If you hit the right
looking glass server you can see our network advertised
by three different ASNs.    We were told by the new ISP
that this is a problem but the state network says it is
not.

Looking for opinions and words of wisdom on this split
advertising issue.

Why aren't you originating your own prefixes and ASN by
yourselves, since you own both?

Mark.