nanog mailing list archives

Re: I am about to inherit 26 miles of dark fiber. What do I do with it?

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 22:18:11 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, Lorell Hathcock wrote:

A job opportunity just came my way to work with 26 miles of dark fiber in and around a city in Texas.

How is the outside plant being built and supported? Who fixes fiber cuts? Who manages the fiber-cut-fixers? Who monitors the network and handles initial triage to determine if there is a fiber cut, as opposed to a hardware/optic failure?

Those questions lead to many others, such as who has documentation and as-built drawings for the fiber plant? Are all of the access agreements, insurance certificates, letters of agency, etc. up to date and accurate?

jms