nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDOS, IDS, RTBH, and Rate limiting

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 20:23:09 -0500

Eric C. Miller wrote:
Today, we experienced (3) separate DDoS attacks from Eastern Asia, all generating > 2Gbps towards a single IP address
in our network. All 3 attacks targeted different IP addresses with dst UDP 19, and the attacks lasted for about 5 minutes
and stopped as fast as they started.

Does anyone have any suggestions for mitigating these type of attacks?

The phrase automated offensive cyber counter-attack has been coming to mind rather frequently, of late. I wonder if DARPA might fund some work in this area. :-)