nanog mailing list archives

Re: Large DDoS, small extortion

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 18:47:57 -0500

On 5/23/2014 1:09 PM, Barry Shein wrote:

On May 24, 2014 at 00:38 rdobbins () arbor net (Roland Dobbins) wrote:
  > Never, under any circumstances, pay.  Not even if you've persuaded
  > the Men from U.N.C.L.E. to help you, and they suggest you pay
  > because they think they can trace the money, do not pay.

Ok, you're recommending $VICTIM ignores or resists the advice of law
enforcement authorities, right?

Given the the current status of reputation, ordinary, run-of-the-mill common sense, and a calm, reflective consideration of the obvious, I would say yes, follow the advice that makes sense, but pay NO money, not even as bait.

If they want to put up taxpayer money from their budget, I would still worry for the reasons given.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                        of System Administrators: