nanog mailing list archives

Re: Paging HP DNS admin

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 00:10:14 -0400

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net> wrote:
Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> said:
if I ask ns1/2/3/4/5/6.hp.com directly for AAAA for onramp01.hpeprint.com.:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> AAAA onramp01.hpeprint.com. @ns6.hp.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 6, ADDITIONAL: 6
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;onramp01.hpeprint.com.         IN      AAAA

You left out the authority section that refers you to the correct DNS

darned it :( yes.

servers - ns[1-6].hp.com are not it.  They delegate to another set of HP
servers, which all time out (as stated by the OP) when asked for AAAA.

yup :(

Oddly, it seems to be specific to AAAA; any other type request I send
comes back NOERROR correctly.  It is like somebody tried to handle AAAA
"special" and screwed it up.

I remember nytimes doing something like this for a while, I believe
they said their GSLB was just not happy doing AAAA, or if not
configured would display similar behaviour.

-chris