nanog mailing list archives

Re: FTTH ONTs and routers

From: Clayton Zekelman <clayton () MNSi Net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 13:35:38 -0400

At 01:11 PM 15/05/2014, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:

It had been my impression that ONTs, like most other consumer modems,
came with built-in router capabilities (along with ATA for voice).

The assertion that ONTs have built-in routing capabilities has been
challenged.

By who?

Can anyone confirm whether ONTs generally have routing (aka: home router
that does the PPPoE or DHCP and then NAT for home) capabilities?

All the unit's I've seen have this capability.  We don't use it though.

Are there examples where a telco has deployed ONTs with the router
built-in and enabled ? Or would almost all FTTH deployments be made with
any routing disabled and the ONT acting as a pure ethernet bridge ?

No way to tell, since configuring routing capability in a router that has it built in is a relatively trivial task.

It would be like asking how many people use the "bagel" button on their toaster, if it has this capability built in.

---

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
3363 Tecumseh Rd. E