nanog mailing list archives

Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:25:37 -0700

On Mar 26, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen () pari edu> wrote:

On 03/25/2014 10:51 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

[snip]

I would suggest the formation of an "IPv6 SMTP Server operator's club,"
with a system for enrolling certain IP address source ranges as  "Active
mail servers", active IP addresses and SMTP domain names under the
authority of a member.

As has been mentioned, this is old hat.

There is only one surefire way of doing away with spam for good, IMO.  No one is currently willing to do it, though.

That way?  Make e-mail cost; have e-postage.  No, I don't want it either.  But where is the pain point for spam where
this becomes less painful?  If an enduser gets a bill for sending several thousand e-mails because they got owned by
a botnet they're going to do something about it; get enough endusers with this problem and you'll get a class-action
suit against OS vendors that allow the problem to remain a problem; you can get rid of the bots.  This will trim out
a large part of spam, and those hosts that insist on sending unsolicited bulk e-mail will get billed for it.  That
would also eliminate a lot of traffic on e-mail lists, too, if the subscribers had to pay the costs for each message
sent to a list; I wonder what the cost would be for each post to a list the size of this one.  If spam ceases to be
profitable, it will stop.

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong, and this might all just be a pipe dream.  (and yes, I've thought about
what sort of billing infrastructure nightmare this could be.....)

Actually, a variant on that that might be acceptable… Make e-postage a deposit-based thing. If the recipient has
previously white-listed you or marks your particular message as “desired”, then you get your postage back. If not, then
your postage is put into the recipients e-postage account to offset the cost of their emails.

Thoughts?

Owen