nanog mailing list archives

Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

From: Jim Popovitch <jimpop () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:55:11 -0400

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com> wrote:
On 3/25/14, 11:23 AM, John Levine wrote:

Large mail providers all agree that v6 senders need to follow good
mail discipline, but are far from agreeing what that means.  It
certainly means proper rDNS, but does it mean SPF?  DKIM on all the
mail?  TLS on the connections?  At this point, I don't know and
neither does anyone else.  Fortunately we have at least another decade
of full IPv4 mail connectivity to figure it out.

So, what's everyone's feelings about a rather large provider who blocks IPv6
e-mail that has no RDNS, even though the sending domain has SPF records
allowing the block, and proper DKIM set up?

*looks directly at Google*

Nothing like poorly thought out policy to break a rather successful IPv6
roll-out for multiple customers.

Just an anecdotal observation.... what G appears to be doing is
flagging emails, received over IPv6, that are below a certain size
threshold.  I have zero problems sending bulk emails (discussions
lists), over IPv6, to G end users, but I do see consistent problems
sending small mgmt alerts (i.e. monit/munin) over IPv6 to G.

-Jim P.