nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:05:00 +0200

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 08:39:51 PM Mark Andrews wrote:

Can I suggest that you re-read what I said.  I did not
say "WILL BE REACHABLE".  I said "THEORETICALLY
REACHABLE".  I also said "GLOBAL UNIQUE" address not
"PUBLIC ADDRESS".

The point is one should be able to get addresses with
these properties. It's your decision about whether to
use all the properties the addresses have.

I was agreeing with you, not speaking against you, Mark.

As for printers directly reachable from anywhere, why
not.  We do have the technology to authenticate requests
regardless of the IP address the request originates
from.  Whether that is built into your printer or not is
a purchasing decision.  I see nothing wrong with being
able to print out something from the other side of the
world for someone else to pick up.  The cost to do this
shoudn't amount to more than a couple of cents in the
printer's price as it is all one off engineering.

That question was rhetorical - everybody on this list
already knows the answer :-).

Mark.