nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS Resolving issues. So for related just to Cox. But could be larger.

From: Rob Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:29:17 -0400

Thanks Bill.  Clearly my Google-fu was failing because of plugging in
anachronistic terms when searching for a document that is only barely
old enough to drive.

-r

bmanning () vacation karoshi com writes:

RFC 2182....

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 02:57:06PM -0400, Rob Seastrom wrote:

Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net> writes:

On 3/7/2014 5:03 AM, Rob Seastrom wrote:

for decades.  i have a vague recollection of an rfc that said
secondary nameservers ought not be connected to the same psn (remember
those?) but my google fu fails me this early in the morning.

Packet Switch Node?

Not sure what would be in this context.

Not on the same router?  How about two routers away with both THEM on
the same router (a third one)?

A PSN or IMP was an ARPANET/MILNET "core" router.  Some sites had more
than one.  A reasonable carry-forward of the concept would be that
nameservers ought to be geographically and topologically diverse so as
to avoid fate-sharing.  Different upstreams, different coasts (maybe
different continents?), different covering prefixes, and certainly not
on the same IPv4 /32...  would be the intelligent thing to do
particularly if one wants to query nanog@ about operational hinkiness
and not be on the receiving end of derisive chuckles.

Not on a host that does anything else?

Both of those actually make some sense to me, the first from a single
point of failure consideration, the second regarding unrelated
failures (I have to re-boot my windows PC at least once a day, most
days because Firefox, the way I use it, gets itself tangled about that
often and a reboot is the quickest way to clear it).

Can't hurt to have authoritative nameservers on dedicated VMs
(enterprise guys running AD have my sympathies), but that's not what
we're talking about here.

-r