nanog mailing list archives

RE: Who uses ARIN's IRR?

From: "Koch, Andrew" <andrew.koch () tdstelecom com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 17:01:12 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Lixfeld [mailto:jason () lixfeld ca]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 10:07
To: NANOG
Subject: Who uses ARIN's IRR?

I don't need to use it much, but when I do, it's an ever-increasing royal
pain in the ass.

My current plight revolves around not being able to get full dumps of
objects.  Certain mandatory fields in objects are 'filtered' and/or
replaced with dummy data.  This poses a problem because one can no longer
simply cut and paste the output, change the necessary bits and fire it off
to rr () arin net for processing.  WhoisRWS doesn't seem to have hooks into
the IRR database like RIPE seems to have gotten right.

So how do people tend to get around this?  Is there something that I'm
missing or do people just throw their hands up and move their IRR data to
RADB or something?

You will notice right at the top of the output there is a hint on getting an unfiltered object.  Try using the -B flag
on your query to get around this.

[elm:usrako]: whois -h rr.arin.net " 64.50.224.0 "
% This is the ARIN Routing Registry.

% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '64.50.224.0/19AS4181'

route:          64.50.224.0/19
descr:          TDS Telecom
origin:         AS4181
mnt-by:         MNT-TDST
source:         ARIN # Filtered

[elm:usrako]: whois -h rr.arin.net " -B 64.50.224.0 "
% This is the ARIN Routing Registry.

% Information related to '64.50.224.0/19AS4181'

route:          64.50.224.0/19
descr:          TDS Telecom
origin:         AS4181
mnt-by:         MNT-TDST
changed:        andrew.koch () tdstelecom com 20100526
source:         ARIN

HTH,

Andy Koch
TDS Telecom - IP Network Operations