nanog mailing list archives

Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:03:07 -0400

On March 30, 2014 at 04:47 johnl () iecc com (John Levine) wrote:
When people talked of "virtual currency" over the years, often arguing
that it's too hard a problem, how many described bitcoin with its
cryptographic mining etc?

None, but it shouldn't be hard to look at the way bitcoin works and
realize why it'd be phenomenally ill suited for e-postage, just for
technical reasons.  I told Satoshi so in 2009.

I wasn't suggesting bitcoin was a model for e-postage, only that a lot
of papers were written saying systems like bitcoin were more or less
impossible (usually based on the double-spending problem.) But bitcoin
seems to have gained quite a bit of traction nonetheless though it may
well still be a bad idea.

The problem is the world is a very sloppy place and tends to function
in spite of proofs that "bumblebees can't fly" etc. when there's a
need.

R's,
John

PS: Sometimes a WKBI really is a WKBI.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs () TheWorld com           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada