nanog mailing list archives

Re: MACsec SFP

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:02:49 -0400

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof () aimvalley nl> wrote:
On 25-06-14 22:45, Christopher Morrow wrote:

today you program the key (on switches that do macsec, not in an SFP
that does it for you, cause those don't exist, yet) in your router
config and as near as I have seen there isn't a key distribution
protocol aside from that which you write/manage yourself and which is
likely using ssh/snmp(ick)/telnet(ick).

I'm not familiar with the MACsec key distribution available in current
routers/switches. Are you saying Cisco doesn't support EAP and/or MKA for
this purpose or just that the command protocol for configuring EAP/MKA is
run via SSH/SNMP/telnet?

I had looked a bit ago (like a year or so perhaps longer) for this and
it seemed like command-line on the switch functions only. This:

<http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15-0_1_se/configuration/guide/3750xcg/swmacsec.pdf>

(for 15.0 IOS on a 3750... ymmv on others of course)

it lookslike they have MKA (and eap) for user-facing ports, and some
nutty cisco thing (trustsec) for switch-to-switch. I never looked at
this for machine-facing ports... Oh, the manual setup for
switch-to-switch is possibly what i recall from my last look at this.

-chris