nanog mailing list archives

Re: MACsec SFP

From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof () aimvalley nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:59:40 +0200

On 24-6-2014 8:37, Saku Ytti wrote:
On (2014-06-23 11:13 +0200), Pieter Hulshoff wrote:

feature and market information for such a device, and I would welcome some
feedback from interested people. Discussion about other types of smart SFPs
would also be welcome. Feel free to contact me directly using the contact
information below.
I'd do questionable things for subrate SFP, SFP which I can put to 1GE port
and have 10M and 100M rates available. Or to 10GE port and get 1GE, 100M and
10M

Use case is network generation upgrade where you still have one or two 100M
ports for MGMT ports etc.

I've seen this request from others as well. Do you have any proposal/preference to limit the data rate from the switch?

There are quite few service SFP already available, RAD does E1 over IP/ETH
tunnels in SFP, Huawei has router-in-SFP, JDSU has ethernet probe in SFP,
probably quite few others.

I'm aware of these products; we (AimValley) build and sell several similar products as well. Since I'm a systems architect, and not a sales person, my email was mostly meant to get an idea of what type of smart SFP products people in the field would like to see come to light, and what type of features they should have. I'll then try to build a business case to get the product developed. MACsec is currently on the top of my own list, but I'll gladly pass other ideas to my colleagues.

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff