nanog mailing list archives

Re: Applications that break when not using /64

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:02:32 -0700

On 2014-06-17 22:13, David Conrad wrote:
On Jun 17, 2014, at 12:55 PM, Grzegorz Janoszka <Grzegorz () Janoszka pl>
wrote:
There are still applications that break with subnet smaller than /64,
so all VPS providers probably have to use /64 addressing.

Wouldn't that argue for /64s?

/64 netmask, but not /64 for a customer. There are application which
break if provided with /80 or /120, but I am not aware of an application
requesting /64 for itself.

Except for SLAAC that requires a /64 due to it using EUI-48 to make up
the address, which "applications" are these, as those applications are
broken by design.

An application (unless it is a protocol like SLAAC or something else
similarly low-level) does not need to know about prefix sizes nor
routing tables.

Thus, can you please identify these applications so that we can hammer
on the developers of those applications and fix that problem?

I tried to configure my FreeBSD box at home to
use a /120 subnet mask.  It consistently crashed
with a kernel panic.  I eventually gave up and just
configured it with a /64.  Not really an application
per se, but since the OS died, I couldn't actually
tell if the applications were happy or not.  :(

Matt