nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix To Cogent To World

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:26:05 -0400

Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk> wrote:

Yes, I like to remind those engaging in peering wars and charging for
access users to be careful when creating reasons for others to become
their competition

As a broadcaster we send our content direct to users over the air,
there is opportunity in not making us do so for internet too (though
it already happens, here in the UK Sky TV are a large ISP)

So, out of curiosity, how does BBC's user base split out between:
- traditional over-the-air reception,
- cable,
- satellite (is their a UK equivalent of DishTV),
- Internet?

I'm pretty sure that in most US major markets broadcasters primarily reach their subscribers over cable these days - with those cable providers also providing subscribers' Internet access.

Miles Fidelman