nanog mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity issue between Verizon and Amazon EC2 (NTT issue?)

From: Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson () esri com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:33:37 -0700

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:40:26PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 05:29:55PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:54:59PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
Others appear to be having similar issues.  Seems like Verizon is
pointing at AWS:

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=558094

Ray

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 08:56:27PM -0700, Tim Heckman wrote:
Realized I sent the reply to Roland. Apologies.

Here it is in full:

####

I am seeing the same issue between AWS US-WEST 2 and Hurricane
Electric's Fremont 2 location (Linode). Looks to be deep within
Amanzon's network based on changes in latency in a simple trace
route.

I would provide an mtr, however my network configuration is
something mtr doesn't support.

Cheers!  -Tim

Update on this:

- We have a ticket open with both AWS and Verizon.
- AWS has responded and felt the issue was with Verizon, but notified
  their network team and asked them to investigate further.
- Nothing back from Verizon yet (anyone here have a Verizon NOC
  contact?)

In the interim, the issue persists.

Further update -- Verizon indicates that the issue is related to
saturation on a peering link between themselves and NTT.  Verizon is
pointing to the NTT side as the source of the saturation / congestion.

We don't have a direct customer relationship with NTT so am hoping
someone on this list may be able to pass this information along or
investigate on our behalf.

Ray

To close the loop on this one, Amazon made a change for us and shifted
their peering point from NTT Ashburn to NTT Dallas.

This helped out tremendously, and although we still see times where
things are "slower", it's at least not 100KB/sec slow. :)

Appreciate all the responses received.

Ray