nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:14:14 -0400

Owen DeLong wrote:
On Jul 13, 2014, at 16:00 , Brett Glass <nanog () brettglass com> wrote:

At 10:25 AM 7/13/2014, Charles Gucker wrote:

ALL ISPs are in the business of providing access to
the Internet.    If you feel the need to rebel, then I suggest you
look at creative ways to increase revenue from your customers,
My customers do not want me to "creatively" find ways to extract
additional money from them so as to cover expenses that Netflix
should be covering. Nor do they want me to subsidize Netflix
subscribers from the fees from non-Netflix subscribers. They
want to pay a fair price for their Internet that does not include
paying ransom to third parties.
Why should Netflix be covering those expenses? Your customers
asked for the content from Netflix. They paid you to deliver it and they
paid Netflix for the content.

Not for nothing, but in the old days, if I asked Netflix to send me a CD in the mail, they paid the postage - out of the fee I paid them.

Miles Fidelman