nanog mailing list archives

Re: Erroneous Leap Second Introduced at 2014-06-30 23:59:59 UTC

From: Tim Heckman <t () heckman io>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 12:20:12 -0700

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Majdi S. Abbas <msa () latt net> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 05:33:52PM -0700, Tim Heckman wrote:
I just was alerted to one of the systems I managed having a time skew
greater than 100ms from NTP sources. Upon further investigation it
seemed that the time was off by almost exactly 1 second.

Looking back over our NTP monitoring, it would appear that this system
had a large time adjust at approximately 00:00 UTC:

        Okay.  Do you have any logging configured (peerstats, etc?) for
ntpd?

Our systems all have loopstats and peerstats logging enabled. I have
those log files available if interested. However, when I searched over
the files I wasn't able to find anything that seemed to indicate this
was the peer who told the system to introduce a leap second. That
said, I might just not know what to look for in the logs.

A few of our systems did alert early this morning, indicating they
were going to be receiving a leap second today. However, I was unable
to determine the exact cause for NTP believing a leap second should be
added. And after some time a few of the systems were no longer
indicating that a leap second would be introduced.

        This can happen if a server is either passing along a leap
notification that it received, or is configured to use a leapseconds
file that is incorrect.

Correct, I was hoping to determine which peer it was so I can reach
out to them to make sure this doesn't bleed in to the pool at the end
of the year. I was also more-or-less curious how wide-spread of an
issue this was, but I'm starting to think I may have been the only
person to catch it in the act. :)

This specific system is hosted in AWS US-WEST-2C and uses the
0.amazon.pool.ntp.org pool.

        0 is just one server in the pool (whichever you draw by
rotation); is this the only server you have configured?

We use 0.amazon.pool.ntp.org, 1.amazon.pool.ntp.org, and
2.amazon.pool.ntp.org. As with the other widely-used pool hostnames,
each of these is a round-robin DNS entry with 4 hosts and a TTL of
150s.

        --msa

Thank you for getting back to me.

Cheers!