nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP multihoming with two address spaces

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:34:24 -0500

This sort of local-pref default seems to be a common practice with
backbones. It's very annoying. I wish they'd stop.

Most of their customers would actually be very unhappy if they stopped. This local-pref default prevents many many
problems and in the vast majority of cases provides the desired result. Yes, it's important to know what is going on
and to be able to ask your providers to make necessary changes in circumstances where this is not optimal (either via
community or ticket), but I assure you that if every backbone turned this off suddenly, most internet users would be
very !HAPPY.

Owen