nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: ipv6 newbie question

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:44:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Nick Hilliard wrote:

On 29/01/2014 17:35, Philip Lavine wrote:
Is it best practice to have the internet facing BGP router's peering ip
(or for that matter any key gateway or security appliance) use a
statically configured address or use EUI-64 auto config?

how are you going to set up the bgp session from the remote side to an
eui-64 auto configured address on your side?

best use static here.  And make sure to disable RA (with fire, i.e. disable
send + receive + answering solicited requests) and EUI64.  If it's a point
to point link, use a /126 or /127 netmask.

+1. I've seem some providers do /64 on their point-to-point links. I don't have an issue with that, and the whole /64 vs /126 or /127 debate has been thoroughly beaten into the ground. No need to re-hash it.

I have never seen a provider use a pseudo-dynamic address on an interface/BGP peer. Having to reconfigure a BGP session because a provider did a hardware upgrade or moved my link to a new interface would not make me happy.

jms