nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google causes 40% drop in traffic?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:38:12 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Neufeind" <nanog () stefan-neufeind de>

On 01/24/2014 09:08 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Given how much traffic these days is CDN and streaming, is that
number really supportable?

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/down-goes-google-down-goes-internet

In the interview they are saying that if Google is down, lots of people
don't have DNS anymore. So that accounts for an even larger drop than
just "no Youtube". Hmm - why would people use those resolvers, besides
being lazy in configuring a proper resolver-address.

The amount of fun I had before I discovered "ipconfig /flushdns" suggests
to me that that's not really a supportable argument.

Of course if Google is down we have no Google search (well, might be a
problem in some cases), no Gmail etc. (fine with me) and no Youtube
(hmm, but we'll survive without it). Come on ...

If the average user is *so* dependent on Google, we have an even larger
problem. Maybe like IPv6-day etc. lets try a "Google outage day" once
a year as a training :-)

We just did; weren't you paying attention?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com